Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Natasha and Signs and Symbols by Vladimir Nabokov



     I’m in the middle of reading Azar Nafisi’s landmark novel/biography Reading Lolita in Tehran which is about an unusual book club in Iran. As the title suggests, Vladimir Nabokov’s Lolita plays a huge part of the story and Nabokov himself seems almost like a character in the book; so often is he mentioned, quoted and dissected.  It made me very curious about his work. So, I put aside Nafisi’s novel for a bit and went hunting for Nabokov’s short stories online. Sadly, I could only find two, but I definitely plan to read more of him this year.

Natasha

     Natasha is a strangely hypnotic story about a young girl who cares for her ailing father. One day her neighbor asks her out for a picnic and she happily goes along since her father seems to be recovering. I really mustn't say anymore because there isn't such a lot in terms of a plot anyway. It may seem predictable yet the ending really surprised me with its abruptness.

Signs and Symbols

     The story begins with an elderly couple choosing a birthday gift for their son who is being treated at a mental health facility. We learn that their son is suffering from ‘referential mania’ which is a form of paranoia where he feels that everything around him is concentrated on his existence alone. His parents reach the facility, only to be told that they cannot meet their son because he attempted suicide again and cannot be allowed to have visitors in this fragile state. The rest of the story follows the parents back home and stays with them through a terribly sad evening. The ending is poignant and so skilfully written.

     I cannot decide which one of the stories I liked more. Both were so haunting and affecting, yet so simple. Nabokov has a way of making up really simple characters, putting them in fairly commonplace situations and yet making the whole thing quite an extraordinary experience for the reader. You can read the stories here and here.

     I can’t decide which of his novels to read first. Lolita is of course his most iconic work, but Invitation to a Beheading sounds very interesting too.  Nabokov has also written a big bunch of short stories.  Anyone read any of these?

7 comments:

  1. Che, I'm afraid I haven't read anything by Vladimir Nabokov including LOLITA. He's one of many writers who remains on the fringes of my memory, never forgotten though. I liked both the stories though I'm more curious about the first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. quite so. I only ever thought of Nabokov in relation to Lolita.

      Delete
  2. My suggestion, read Lolita first to get it out of the way, then Pale Fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I'll do. Nafisi's book has made me too curious about it.

      Delete
  3. Haven't read anything by Nabokov either. I had opportunities to read Lolita but passed on them because of the subject matter.

    http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you mean. I think I've been reluctant to read it for the same reason. But after trying his short stories I really want to read more of him.

      Delete
  4. I have read Lolita and Pale Fire- I guess you need to start with Lolita but Pale fire is a work of total genius

    ReplyDelete