Friday, May 27, 2011

The Literary Blog Hop



Literary Blog Hop

The Literary Blog Hop hosted by The Blue Bookcase is such a great way to meet fellow book-bloggers who 
share an enthusiasm for literary fiction. I’m excited to be joining in. This week’s question is:

Talk about one author that you love and why his or her writing is unique.  

   The answer to this question would probably vary from day to day depending on the particular literary haze I’m floating around in just then. Today, I can’t think of anyone I love more than Ruskin Bond.
I grew up reading his stories for children collected in his Children's Omnibus. Our Trees Still Grow in Dehra, Room on the Roof and Scenes from a Writer’s Life are the best of his books for grown-ups.  In fact I really can’t think of any Ruskin Bond book that I haven’t loved.

  What sets him apart is that most of his stories are set in the small towns and villages dotted about the Himalayas.  His writing style is as unhurried as the pace of life in these places. Every page he has ever written is steeped in his love of nature and compassion for all living things and yet he never sounds preachy. His storytelling is so incredibly gentle, so devoid of pretensions. Reading a Ruskin Bond is almost like having a beloved grandfather tell you a bedtime story. He isn’t trying to impress you or patronise you, he just wants to tell you a good story.

6 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Ruskin Bond, but I love exploring new settings through the stories set there. I'll have to check him out. Thanks for participating in the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a really interesting author. I haven't come across many stories that take place around the Himalayas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I just love the grandfather comparison. I so much would love to have him tell me a story. I definitely have to check him out. You have a new follower, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been great to see a lot of not-so-well-known writers this week! The writer I chose is definitely well-known, but not often well-read (since he's a bit bizarre).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by Christine
    Loni and Sabrina do check out Bond. I'm sure you wont be disappointed.
    Roofbeamreader you are so right. this hop has been a great way to discover some new authors and rediscover some forgotten ones. Going to check out your chosen author now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi CHE
    Thanks for following and I am now following back:) I see you did a post on Jeffrey Archer. I love his books:) I will have to look for this author as I haven't read any of his books. I read lots and am always looking for new authors and books to read:) Thanks for linking up to the NOBH we appreciate your supports

    ReplyDelete